Simply ask yourself, ‘What happens next’?
from Write a Novel in 10 Minutes a Day by Katherine Grubb
Ten things to do if you are stuck
Just simply ask yourself, ‘What happens next?’
- Review your notes.
- Do a free write on anything: the main character, the supporting characters, the setting, the plot or a specific prop you’ll need.
- Have a supporting character interrupt the life of the main character with a car accident, a sick child, a death in the family, an arrest, something that is surprising and stressful, and that could happen in real life.
- Take a shower. The combination of heat, water and physical sensation often stimulates your brain and you may come out with an idea.
- Take some exercise. This will also stimulate the brain.
- Discuss the problem with one or two trusted friends.
- Attack backstory. Write for ten minutes on your main character’s childhood, a traumatic experience or most embarrassing moment.
- Write for ten minutes on what everyone is wearing, and why. This may trigger you and you’ll have a new idea.
- Go back over all the exercises you’ve completed from The Future Bookshelf. You may find inspiration.